Sunday, January 21, 2007

Write What You Know


I've been deathly sick all week and still trying to work on punching up my two prequel/sequel RS novels. Not having much luck getting my brain to work, what with blowing my nose constantly and...well, you don't need to know all my disgusting symptoms, let's just say the doctor told me it was about time I got my butt in there as it's gone to my chest now...

I decided to amuse myself surfing erotic epub websites, joined an erotic writers Yahoo group, and as this is TOTALLY outside my comfort zone, thought I'd read/write some to get my wool-pain-shrunken head to work again. After all, aren't these erotica writers pulling in the big bucks?? Just for female fantasies?? Being female, I have a few female fantasies of my own. Perhaps someone would like to read about them, lol.

Now I know why the age-old adage of "write what you know" is so apt. I know crime. I know suspense. I know cops. I know criminal minds. I know sensuous love-making and I can write hot. I know power and I know romance. I know fantasy and women's fantasy....but I don't know that kind of fantasy.

I guess I've managed to get this far in life without it. It's okay and for those writers who're making piles of money off it, I say hooray for them. ;) But I'll stick with what I know. Hot, sensuous, romantic, panting, sex without the use of schoolyard talk.

But thank goodness for free speech! It takes all kinds. And it made my week of being so sick more interesting and I never would've bothered spelunking around that neck of the woods without having a temperature. More fluids, Tylenol, antibiotics, and next week I should be back to my u/c cops and bikers with a vengeance. And there's lots of writers out there who don't like violence, betrayal, murder, and mayhem. So - write what you know!

1 comment:

Toni Anderson said...

Have my next plot sorted and it will be exactly that--writing what I know :)