Wednesday, October 25, 2006

What the H...???



After working so hard to try and get my head back into my MS and do rewrites, edits, etc. it just doesn't seem to be working. Maybe other writers can salvage their WIPs, but this one just doesn't seem to be doing it for me. Maybe it's just too stressful a time in my life right now, maybe the premise really isn't what I thought it was; the characters are great but I haven't given them the right story. I don't know.

I feel like the picture: upside down in a plane and looking at the ground! What to do next? I have a file full of ideas...time to pick another one. Time to try out that new book I have by Karen Weisner, "How To Plot Your Book In Thirty Days". Well, I've always been part plotter/part pantser. Maybe this will help whip something into shape for me. It can't hurt to start with fresh material.

She recommends making a soundtrack for your book. I've always had a SONG that fit my WIPs, but haven't made a soundtrack, mainly because I don't have a CD burner. This is a very cool idea, however, and thank you Karen for suggesting it in your book. She says to play it while writing, doing chores, in your car, etc. That it will sink into your conciousness and help you brainstorm through plot points and issues in your WIP.

I played Nickelback's SILVER SIDE UP for a novel that was trashed by a big NY house, till I thought I'd wear the CD out. So I realize this does work. It helped me find the motivation and angst in my heroine so well, and other songs on it pertained to the hero.

Not one to give up, I'm off to review my file and pull out the best idea/premise that tickles my fancy at the moment.

QUESTION: How many of you use a song, CD, or soundtrack as background to unconciously influence you to work on your WIPs?

1 comment:

Toni Anderson said...

All the time. I have a playlist for each book :D. Actually I usually have a playlist per character, but that's just me :/